2010-08-28

Things Happen

When they say
better late than never,
I didn't stop to think
that this would mean we're doomed
but at least we'd be together -
and I saw all the warning signs,
must have been the weather
but I paid them no mind, baby
nothing lasts forever...
that's what I was told
but all it took was faith in you
and from that point, I was sold
'cause after digging through the dirt,
I had found gold -
practically melted my heart
and now the burn's cold.
Physically beaten down
and mentally broken
with not another move
or a word spoken,
I thought it was a dream
and waiting to be woken
up, I realized it was real..
you must be joking.
Fuck. It's crazy,
after everything,
you call her your baby,
I asked if you understood
and your answer was 'maybe',
but when you didn't come back
I had a feeling,
you had found your number one lady.
She wasn't me
so I guess I should accept it,
better or worse,
it's over now, I don't regret it
but I wonder, if what we had was something,
you'd respect it -
or would you turn around
and pretend to forget it?