2011-10-11

[T] Are heroes real?

I never thought it would happen again... I was never the type to sit around and cry - showing weakness is unnecessary. I thought things would never have to change, because no matter what happened, you'd always be there. Three years ago, it was the beginning.

It was like waking up from a bad dream only to realize you're still asleep. It was unreal. Everything became so quiet all of a sudden. Smiles faded and soon it was just the face of indifference. A blank canvas. Never thought I'd see a day when things would change. But regardless, you'd still be my hero.

A year later, I started to see it. Just like everyone else - we would have to find a new way to do things. How were we ever gonna be anything like we used to be? There was no 'we' without you. There was no way this was gonna work.

I remember the entire week leading up to that day. The day things would actually change - without us being able to do anything about it. Tears. No matter how hard it was to handle, you kept a smile on your face. I questioned how things would ever be the same without you, and you simply laughed and said "you'll be okay".

And you weren't wrong.

I had never been more motivated to work harder - to be stronger - to fight until every drop of blood has dripped out of my body. Maybe I didn't believe in it before, but I guess I shouldn't have been so doubtful. Heroes are real.